Saturday, December 19, 2015

Simple Low Carb* Beef

A few days ago my husband messaged me reminding me that I had some old tomatoes in the fridge that should have been used/eaten a couple of weeks ago. I told him not to worry. I had a plan!

Since they weren't moldy, I knew they'd be perfect for cooking, and there was a nice piece of beef in the freezer waiting for them. On Thursday they "married."




Here's the recipe, and unlike many beef recipes, there's no sugary jam or wine or juice involved. That's why I call it "Low Carb*."

Ingredients:

  • beef (I always buy the least expensive and look for a piece that has little fat on it.)
  • a bunch of halved overripe tomatoes or any tomatoes, as long as they're juicy and red.
  • a large onion cut in large pieces
  • a few pieces of fresh garlic
  • a few peppercorns 
  • a spoon or two of oil; honestly, I never measure
  • water to prevent burning
Instructions:
  1. heat oil, onion and garlic on high flame
  2. then add the beef to sear and seal in juices 
  3. keep turning over the beef until nothing looks raw on the outside
  4. add tomatoes and peppercorns 
  5. then lower heat and cover
  6. cook for at least 90 minutes; add water if necessary to prevent burning
And that's it! This is such an easy and healthy recipe, and it has no extra calories at all and no sugar, too. And it was absolutely delicious. I served it with two types of cooked vegetables, salad and mujadarrah/majadra, which is a rice-lentils dish.

*carb=carbohydrates

No comments: