Saturday, January 30, 2016

Easy "Fancy" Cooking

No doubt you know that I love "bake and serve," easy "one-pot" meals. And I'm always trying different variations of it.  This dish was polished off by me and my husband today for Shabbat noon meal. I served it with a big fresh salad, a cooked vegetable that had carrots, squash, cauliflower, onions and mushrooms, plus I baked some pumpkin. And my husband also had some rice. But I think that most people would find this plus a salad to be a very complete and filling meal. 




Ingredients: (Vegetables are all sliced thickly, since the turkey takes longer to be fully cooked, and I didn't want the vegetables to be overcooked and unrecognizably mushy.)

  • two turkey legs
  • a large sweet potato
  • thick carrot
  • large zucchini
  • onion
  • about 1/4 cup of very sweet red wine poured at the last minute on the turkey
Directions:
  • cover with foil and bake in hot oven until almost ready
  • turn off oven and let it finish baking
  • if you're afraid it will burn lower heat, but usually the foil keeps it from burning
  • ready when the turkey is cooked-- every oven is differnt so I don't give time or temperature, since mine isn't accurate

No comments: