Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Silhouette and Stranger for 52Frames

52Frames's "challenge" for last week was the toughest yet for me, and I even mulled over the option of breaking my streak and just not doing it. But since I'm not a quitter and knew it was just something I must get over, I buckled down and did my best.

What was so hard for me? Honestly, it didn't involve equipment or conditions that are impossible. It's not even that far from what I do, very well actually, at work. We had to ask a stranger for permission to take his/her picture, "Portrait of a Stranger." I had chickened out when I was in Jerusalem earlier in the week and therefore decided that Kenes Shiloh was the place. I had planned on asking an attendee, but somehow they looked too serious and "unfriendly." I just had to get over that phobia and stop making excuses!!! Finally, I decided on whom to ask, and did it! Here she is:

"The Archeologist"
During the tour part of the Shiloh Conference at Ancient Shiloh, our guide pointed to a young woman who had found a number of artifacts while working at the archaeological "digs" at Tel Shiloh. Afterwards I walked over to her and asked if I could take her picture for a "photography group." She tried to tell me that she wasn't very photogenic, but I told her to look around at the much more elderly, much less attractive, people in attendance. Convinced, she agreed, but just wanted to choose the shot.
Her name is Tehilla, and she has been working at the archaeological site of Tel Shiloh.
She has a lovely smile and is very photogenic!

Camera: Canon Canon IXUS 145
Shutter: 1/125th of a second
Aperture: f/3.5
ISO: 800
Location: Shiloh, Israel

Critique: SHRED AWAY! I feel no pain.
This photo qualifies for the "Extra Credit" challenge: "Tell Their Story"
This week's challenge was completely different. Nothing is less personal than the vague outlines of a Silhouette. I took a number of photographs in a few locations, but I ended up deciding on this one:

"Silhouette Fenced In"
Here in Shiloh, the first sign of pool season is when the fence around the pool area gets covered by this green canvas/fabric. The swimmers, especially the females expect/demand privacy. That's why, in the morning, looking eastwards into the swimming pool all you see in Silhouette is the fence and some plants. 

Camera: Samsung GT-I9105P
Shutter: 1/500th of a second
Aperture: f/2.8
ISO: 100 and below
Location: Shiloh, Israel
Here are some of the "rejects." Did I choose incorrectly?








No comments: