Friday, September 09, 2016

Wabi Sabi, When Imperfect is Simply Stunning, 52Frames

This week for 52Frames the theme/challenge was Wabi Sabi. Wabi Sabi? You may wonder what it is:
Wabi-sabi (?) represents Japanese aesthetics and a Japanese world view centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection. The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete".[2] It is a concept derived from the Buddhist teaching of the three marks of existence (三法印 sanbōin?), specifically impermanence (無常mujō?), suffering ( ku?) and emptiness or absence of self-nature ( ?).
Characteristics of the wabi-sabi aesthetic include asymmetryasperity (roughness or irregularity), simplicity, economy, austerity, modesty, intimacy, and appreciation of the ingenuous integrity of natural objects and processes. Wikipedia
I had a few pictures to choose between and then I saw these leaves on the walkway near my house and realized that they were just the epitome of the concept. And for once my camera caught them perfectly.

"Lonely Leaves"
I had taken lots of photos for this "challenge" and was about to send one in when I noticed these lonely deserted, rather dried out leaves. I just took one shot, not expecting much, but when I looked at the photo... I just knew... This is what Wabi Sabi is all about!

Camera: Canon Canon IXUS 145
Shutter: 1/250th of a second
Aperture: f/11
ISO: 100 and below
Location: Shiloh, Israel
These two photos were those I thought were good as Wabi Sabi, but that was before the leaves. Did I choose right? What do you think?




"Lonely Leaves" isn't at all popular with the 52Frames crowd...

No comments: