Monday, January 23, 2017

Original Corelle Dishes, In Use Since 1972

Yes, we have Corelle dishes bought in the summer of 1972. At that time all of the department store catalogus were featuring these sets, sold as service for four:

  • 4 dinner plates
  • 4 smaller plates
  • 4 bowls
  • 4 teacups 
  • 4 saucers
There were two versions, plain white and blue "snowflake," if I remember what ours was called correctly. 



I checked on google, but there wasn't any correct information on the dishes. Wikipedia even had an outright mistake. I know for sure that we bought this set in 1972. We married and moved to Israel in 1970 and visited New York in 1972. I can still see the catalogue page in my mind showing the dishes, though I can't remember the price. Could it have been something like $24.99?

For decades they were our "good" dishes. That is until about thirteen years ago, when my father-in-law died, and when my husband went back to New York to help clear out his parents' apartment, he brought back a much nicer set of dishes. So, we got rid of the old plastic "everyday" ones and demoted the Corelle. But on a nice tablecloth they still look pretty good.

No comments: