Monday, November 20, 2017

Amazing Talents, Genetics

Those of us who are parents and grandparents most probably agree with me when I say that my "descendants" surprise me.

It first began when my firstborn opened her eyes, and I could see they were a very light blue. I had always been known for my dark brown eyes. My parents and siblings all had brown eyes. My husband has brown eyes. But somehow Gd decided to shake things up and give us a beautiful daughter who to this day has big light-colored eyes.

Readers of this blog know that I love doing crafts, and I've shown lots of pictures of my mosaics. You may have noticed something about the mosaics. They are rather "abstract." I don't draw pretty pictures and fill them in with colored tile pieces like some of my friends do. I barely plan my "art." I keep saying that the colors inspire me. I don't like following lines and patterns and realistic pictures.

When I worked in Yafiz clothing store, I was known as the one who couldn't fold neatly. Some people would stupidly say:
"You'll get better with practice."
I'd answer:
"I've been practicing for over half a century. I'm hopeless, but I am the best salesperson you have."
A couple of months ago I discovered that my three year old granddaughter applied nail polish more neatly and exactly than I've ever succeeded in doing. When I put it on, there's always a lot on my skin, so I try to do it a day before a special event. That gives me time for the excess to "wear off."

And now I've discovered that another young granddaughter not only decorates cakes which are prettier than the special occasion ones you buy in stores. She decorates nails. The brush she uses is finer than the point of a ballpoint pen.  This sort of exactitude and perfectionism is so totally different from anything I could ever produce.

There are artists in my family who can do this sort of thing, but not me. 

Concerning my light-eyed daughter, she was followed by two other light-eyed girls. My grandfather and my father's two siblings all had light eyes. So adding my father-in-law's light eyes, the genetics behind these surprises are pretty clear.

Of course my grandchildren all have another genetic pool from which they've inherited a lot. I really do love the surprising talents I see in my children and grandchildren.

No comments: