Saturday, August 18, 2018

Kitchen Chaos, First Success, B"H

As you probably know by now, we've been renovating our kitchen. There are lots of ups and downs and even some unpleasant surprises. On the whole it  has been an enjoyable experience, and even the small crises have turned out for the better. We're at the "tail end" I hope, and Gd willing, by the end of the week, I really hope and pray that our kitchen will be not only gorgeous, but fully functioning.

There's lots more to be done, even though the kitchen guy had hoped to be finished by Friday. But the "lots more to be done" are really the smaller jobs, like the electric outlet "frames," tweaking some of the carpentry, installing the ovens and hooking up the gas.

I also have to get a few new kitchen accessories like new dish drainers, stools, step stool etc. I also had to get some sort of basket or tray for the drawer where the onions and potatoes are to be stored.

 On Friday, I found myself with a bit of time in Jerusalem before the stores closed. It may sound a bit crazy, but the first thing I looked for and considered most "urgent" was the "potato basket." I checked out the FOX Home in the Ramot Mall, and I found something nice, but it wasn't on "sale." The full price was too high. Then since I was dropped off in Pisgat Zeev, I went to that mall. Golf and Co. also had something nice, if not nicer, but it was also full price. I almost bought it, since it was better than the one in FOX Home. But I decided to check out a couple more stores. Home Center didn't have anything suitable. Davka in the Naaman Outlet I found a wooden tray that seemed to be the right size, and since it was 80% off making the reduced price less than NS20, I bought it.

The kitchen still isn't ready, but the onions and potatoes and garlic seem very cozy in their new home.


2 comments:

Netivotgirl said...

Good for you dear Batya! Like you, I 'shop around,' for the best buy and try to make the budget stretch that way. Please G-d you will be THRILLED with the kitchen when it is finsihed!

Batya said...

Thanks, so much. The kitchen was so expensive, it seems crazy to be trying to save a few shekel, but...