Thursday, April 11, 2019

Easy to Make, Tasty Sandwich Rolls, Vegan, Parve

 Sandwich Rolls, Vegan, Parve
very easy to make, and you don't need a mixer
The basic recipe is from Mel's Kitchen Cafe FRENCH BREAD ROLLS, which I tweaked. I also doubled the recipe, since I had a kilo of flour to finish off.

These are very easy to make and tasty rolls. I don't have a mixer, just my hands, so they're low-tech too. I baked them with 100% whole wheat flour and brown sugar, which not only is supposed to be healthier, but I find it much tastier than white. I make a point of labeling vegan foods as such, since now I have a vegan daughter-in-law, which makes me more aware of ingredients, besides our being strictly kosher. Parve means neither meat nor dairy, not even the grease or oil.


handwritten version of Tasty Sandwich Rolls, which I worked from
My typed recipe below is more accurate and hopefully w/o spelling errors.

Ingredients:

3 cups warm water
2 Tablespoons dehydrated yeast
4 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
4 Tablespoons vegetable oil
pinch plus coarse salt
1 kilo* (approximately) 100% whole wheat flour

Instructions:

  1. mix water, yeast, sugar, oil and about 2 cups of flour in large mixing bowl
  2. cover and wait at least 15 minutes until bubbly
  3. start adding the flour topped with the salt
  4. mix with large strong spoon, or dough hook if you're using a mixer
  5. keep adding flour until it doesn't stick to your fingers 
  6. start hand (or dough hook) kneading for at least 7 minutes, a bit more if by hand
  7. coat with oil, cover and leave to rise, double, (at least 25 minutes)
  8. when doubled, punch down and shape on baking pan; I just made balls and squished them
  9. let rolls rise and then bake at 400f or 200c, depending on your oven
  10. between 17-20 minutes should be all they take to be ready, tap for hollow sound
  11. Enjoy! They freeze well too.
*kilo = 2.2 lbs or about 8 cups flour

No comments: