Thursday, November 23, 2023

First Time Baking Simple Rye Bread

Yesterday I planned on buying plain whole wheat pittot to use for sandwiches when I travel very early in the morning to Jerusalem for classes in Matan. I've discovered that I function better (meaning stay more alert and awake) if I eat a "good breakfast" before classes. 

Although not my usual menu, I've discovered that a sandwich on whole grain bread seems to do the trick best. That's why I wanted to buy some sort of whole-wheat bread/pitta. They would take up less room in my fridge's limited freezer than rolls. I found a bag, but then for some inexplicable reason, I read the ingredients. Hmmm, there were all sorts of additives, and I lost my appetite for them. 

So the intrepid baker, yours truly, went to the flour section and searched for whole-wheat flour. I couldn't find any. All they had were the 70% and 80% whole-wheat, but there was 100% rye flour. So, I decided to give it a try. 

Just two problems. 

1-Although I've been baking challah for decades, I've never baked simple bread.

2- I've never used rye flour, which I understand reacts differently from wheat.

I began googling, and most recipes had too many ingredients and seemed too complicated. Then I found Easy recipe for 100% rye bread from Virtuous Bread. Nothing could be easier. It doesn't need a mixer, and it includes only four ingredients including a pinch of salt. Following is what I used.

300gram flour, 250gram water (from the faucet,) tablespoon of brown sugar, pinch plus of coarse salt, Tablespoon of dehydrated yeast.

The only equipment you need:

a large bowl, two big mixing spoons, measuring cups and a "loaf" pan for baking

Directions:

In the large bow mix yeast in the water. Leave it a few minutes, until the yeast liquifies.

Add the flour and salt to the water, mix. I had to add more water. You'll get a sticky gob, but don't worry. You don't have to knead the dough.  Keep mixing with the spoons.

When the mush is mixed, pour (using the two spoons) it into the loaf pan. Instead of greasing the pan I used baking paper. 

Then let it sit at least two hours, covered loosely by a plastic bag. Don't bake until it fills the pan and seems to have a least doubled.

Bake at 200C for about 40 minutes. I think that next time I'll lower it to about 170 once it looks crusty and then keep baking an baking.

When it's ready, have it cool on a rack. After I made my sandwiches I sliced the remaining. 

I made my 


Here's the rye bread, recipe note on top

This must be the world's easiest bread recipe. I mixed it with a spoon. I didn't have to knead it, just poured the gop into the pan and let it sit, covered, for a few hours. Then I baked it in a hot oven. 

avocado and tomato in between slices of the rye bread


2 comments:

anon said...

70% and 80% whole wheat flour is still totally whole wheat, it just has some off the bran sifted out to make it lighter. It does not mean than it is not totally whole wheat.

Batya said...

I use the 70/80 for challah and cakes. I just wanted something weightier.