Thursday, September 24, 2026

52Frames Weekly Photography Challenges, My Story and Some Photos

I've been a member of 52Frames for a long time. When I joined, it wasn't simple. I had to submit a portfolio to show that I was "serious" about photography. Cameras were the expected norm, not phones. Actually 52Frames Photographers was just a Facebook group when I first heard about it. All of the announcements and weekly albums were solely on Facebook. There were just a few dozen members. I felt so nervous when applying and was sure I'd be rejected. BH amazingly they accepted me. Now it's easy to join via the site.

I didn't have a fancy camera, and I had never taken an art course in my life. Some of the weekly challenges are based on composition principles, and I had to learn an entirely new vocabulary. Members are given just a week for each challenge, and the photograph must have been taken during that week, not before. Also it's not to be a photograph of someone else's art, unless the art is part of a larger scene. One major thing I had to adjust to was that we're allowed to edit our photograph. I had grown up in the days of film photography and strongly warned by my parents that a picture, black & white in the 1950s, had to be totally perfect or I was wasting their money.

With time a few basic things changed along with eliminating the difficulty in joining. Now camera photography is accepted, neither rare nor snubbed. Also, there are many sub/special interest 52Frames facebook groups, and the main facebook group is strictly managed and only used for certain topics. I think that the newer members miss out on the friendly support that existed when I joined. I think there should be mentoring for new members. But I'm a totally different generation from most, and as I said, I don't come from an art world.

Following are a few of my most recent photos. Underneath each photo is the name of the week's challenge linked to the site.

Music

Black and White


Reflection

Humor

Leading Lines

Abstract

Negative Space

Distortion

Wabi Sabi

Just Breathe

No comments: