Friday, October 23, 2009

Nothing Like The Toys of My Childhood


When I was a little girl, I had these "kits" for weaving pot holders, and when my daughters were little, my mother found the same sort of kits for them.
So no surprise that during my rushed visit to New York, when I brought my father to Israel, I managed to get to my favorite toy store.  It's on Middleneck Road, Great Neck, NY in the center of town.  I've gotten some nice basic toys there over the years, since becoming a grandmother.
This time I was thinking "paper dolls," but I didn't like what they had.  It seemed rediculously expensive for something which was once so inexpensive. 
Then I noticed that old favorite, the potholder weaving kit.  Now the frame is plastic and the loops are synthetic, but my granddaughters quickly picked up the art of weaving.  The older one even managed to do the "crochet" finish.
Nothing beats these old craft projects, certainly not the computer tv etc.

5 comments:

Risa Tzohar said...

I remember so well making potholders. I really loved it as a kid. THaks for bringing back the memory.

Batya said...

my pleasure

RivkA with a capital A said...

I remember making those!!

I would love to get a kit for my youngest (my eldest is probably too old already!)

I don't suppose they are available here?

Anonymous said...

I used to love paper dolls, much more than dolls for some reason.
Nice to see that your granddaughters enjoy these traditional activities. In fact most kids probably would, if only they were gven a chance. It is rewarding to make things.

Batya said...

RivkA, I don't know if they're here. Contact the crafts/hobby stores. Maybe someone can bring you a kit from the states. Decades ago, they were popular skills for OT.

Ilana-Davita, my granddaughters love arts and crafts. They took charge of the succah this year. I'm sure they'll like paper dolls, too.

These old skills are so important for all sorts of development.