Monday, October 26, 2009

The Laundry Question


The New York Times is "rethinking laundry."  Apparently, my drying method doesn't jive with most of my peers in the 21st Century.  Very rarely do I use a clothes dryer.  I have five meters (over 16 feet) times four clothes lines.  They're on the southern side of my home.  If it's raining, I set up a few folding lines in my house.  Actually, my biggest problem is that some clothes fade.  So, that, too, means that I'll sometimes need to hang them indoors.  Of course, there's always the backup of the electric dryer.

Also, in my Shiloh, Israel, neighborhood, drying the clothes outside, in full view, is normal and accepted.  A few months after we first moved in, some foreign busybodies were here on a tour and tried to tell me that the laundry should be hidden.  I told them that laundry doesn't dry well if not exposed to the sun and air.  Anyway, I think that drying clothes are beautiful.  If anything was in bad taste or inappropriate, it was that uncalled for criticism. 

5 comments:

Pesky Settler said...

I simply hang my clothes inside out on the line.

Anonymous said...

i hang my clothes out too, but i dont like it. im a private kinda guy...
but drying clothes, beautiful?! thats a first.

Batya said...

pesky, the sun's too strong for some things. Practice makes perfect, of course.

a, certain unmentionables can be hidden in the house. Beautiful, of course, and the smell of sun-dried clothes is the greatest!

Jew Wishes said...

I agree, on the uncalled for critique.

Laundry lines make lovely photos.

Batya said...

Thanks so much jw