Friday, December 03, 2004

deep breaths

learning to breath deeply
joined new exercise class
taught by new neighbor
who breathes deeply
in through the nose
out and empty
through the mouth
a whistling sound to remind us

trained in Hong Kong, Australia, the states
lots of certificates
tv aerobics
personal trainer for beauty contestants
and now us
her advanced class
one young, single woman--a former student of mine, from my gym teacher days
we averaged at least six kids each
stomach crunch, I dubbed the imaginary exercise
"imagine you have stomach muscles"
I encouraged us all
me, most of all
me, the fattest and oldest

I was nervous
a friend in the beginners group
said she couldn't move for days
but
I took it easy
didn't even sweat
rather coddle old bone and muscles
make it to the end
didn't want to collapse mid class
and be demoted, damaged, injured

a marothoner who can't run

surprise
felt energized
and this morning
remembered to take
deep breaths

No comments: