Monday, September 23, 2019

I Took The Plunge and Joined the Pool in Ariel

For two years I've been a member of the "Ariel Pool Whatsapp" group neighbors of mine have set up to offer and look for rides to the pool in the Ariel sports center.

And for two solid years I just couldn't get myself to sign up and become a member.

Every summer I take out a membership and go the the pool here in Shiloh, which is just across the street and down a path. The only complaint I have is that the season is much too short. Three months just aren't enough.

In recent years I've really noticed that my body deteriorates much too quickly and too much during the nine months the pool is closed. Each year, it's worse and never quite recovers as well as the previous year. Staying fit at my age is a full time job. Walking is great, but there are benefits from water exercise that can't be achieved any other way.

I must admit that I'm not a "swimmer." I don't swim laps. I've developed my own, unique water "movement" or "stroke" that I can do over and over, even in designated swimming lanes. I also exercise/dance in the water. I wear flexible "swimming gloves," which increase the efforts of my arms and shoulders.

The Ariel Sports Center is like a spa, with jacuzzi, steam room, sauna, fitness room full of "machines" and treadmills. In addition there are classes, pilates, feldenkrais and yoga. The entire building seems to be nice and clean.

Even after just three visits, I'm feeling better. The Shiloh Pool has been closed for three weeks. I needed the exercise. And while in Ariel, I can also take care of shopping errands. So, it's a win-win, Baruch Hashem.

No comments: