Monday, March 18, 2024

That Oppenheimer Movie

Oppenheimer did really well in the recent Oscars aka Academy Awards, but IMHO they didn't deserve all those awards.


The other night I saw that Oppenheimer movie. Actually we didn't go to the cinema; we saw it in a neighbor's home where she has a nice big screen. 

I'm glad that I hadn't paid to see it. It was rather torturous to be perfectly honest. One neighbor walked out in the middle saying that he know the plot/history. I stayed hoping it would get better, even though trying to run a marathon would probably have been more pleasant.

Just because it won lots of prizes doesn't mean it's good. I'm a cynic, realist, pragmatist, and I don't follow the crowds. Some movies which had won barely any awards have have held up and today over half a century later, like Some Like It Hot, and are now treasured, praised and viewed more than ever. Compare it to Roman Holiday and The Sting, also great award winners. They're favorites with many, though over a half a century old. If I'm even in enforced bedrest, please keep me cheerful and fascinated by watching movies like those. I doubt if people will will willing to watch the three hours of Oppenheimer in sixty 60 years, or even in ten, unless they're already unconscious.

Good cinema, like good literature must show character development, challenges and changes. Granted Oppenheimer did face challenges, but Cillian Murphey's expression, tone and expression never changed. Maybe it's because his facial skin had been stretched too tightly...

I was surprised to discover that Emily Blunt was the actress who played Kitty Oppenheimer, because, at least to me, she was unrecognizable and looked miserable. Kitty was a very poorly written character, which makes little sense. Do you consider that good acting for an attractive actress who did such a great job as in The Devil Wears Prada?

The only aspect of the movie that impressed me was the visual at times, so I would have nominated them for the Academy Award for  "Special Affects." Not only didn't they win it, but they weren't even nominated for that category.

If you're thinking of seeing Oppenheimer, think again. It's not worth three hours of your life. For me the test of what's a great movie is answering "yes" to the question: 
"Would you like to see this movie another few times for enjoyment?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The most boring movie.


Spent good money to see in a movie house.
What a waste..

Yawned most of the time, could not leave, as others i went with were there watching. Bah Humbug..

Batya said...

My sympathies.
I'm sure that many don't have the guts to say that it's an awful movie because of its message.