Monday, May 08, 2006

Relaxing and sleeping well

A few months ago I became a regular at the monthly ladies' night at the Chamei Yoav Spa. For various reasons, I didn't make it there in March and April, and I don't know if I'll go again that soon. First of all, to make things clear, I really did enjoy it. It is wonderful, but I discovered that now that I play basketball Sunday evenings, I am experiencing some of the same feelings of relaxation. That's right. By running and walking around the basketball court, reaching for balls, throwing and passing and catching, I experience a feeling very similar to the one I would get in those pools and waterfalls at the spa.

Don't think that I'm some sort of "jock." I wasn't an athlete decades ago, and I'm not one now either. I just like to be physically active, OK, when I'm not sitting like a lump typing on the computer.

I've also discovered that my nights of insomnia usually follow a few days of physical inactivity. I need some sort of exercise to fall asleep easily, otherwise I'm just not tired enough.

Unlike the visit to the spa, the basketball game is free, and it's near my house. It's usually just a half dozen of us, with me as the eldest (always), and a basketball. Some of the young women are even younger than my youngest kids, and they were born when I was over thirty. The game, which we don't keep score, is relatively non competitive. It lasts less than an hour. One other thing is that we work up a sweat, which is healthy.

After the game, as soon as I get home I put up my dinner and then take a nice shower and shampoo. And by the time I finish eating I feel as relaxed as when I leave the spa. Hard to believe, but it's true.

3 comments:

Sarah Likes Green said...

not hard to believe at all!

exercise encourages and increases a persons happy chemicals (endorphins) leaving you feeling more relaxed. and you keep fit and healthy to enjoy the rest of the day! :) and you sleep better of course. but you knew that...!

that's why i can't go more than a day or so without a nice long (brisk) walk or a bit of a workout!

Batya said...

Thanks, Sarah, for the input. It's so important to get regular, daily exercise, especially outdoors.

Anonymous said...

Good Job! :)