Sunday, May 21, 2006

No Way!

It's really hard to believe that Israel's score in Eurovision was just four points! It may not have been our best entry, or the best all around, but it was better than most of those I saw and heard.

Just like most of last night's entries, it was more "American" than European. There was very little musically that could help one guess where the songs originated. That's especially since rules were changed to allow any language, rather than restrict language to the official country's language.

At times it sounded like an American competition, with lots of American folk and the "gospel" style Israel presented, including the performers, who were most "Black Hebrews." OK, I guess the Israeli "music establishment" deserved the low score for sending such a "non-Israeli" singing group.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the song was originally sung more like a ballad, which had reminded me of two-time winner Johnnie Logan of Ireland.

Next year Israel will either wait it out or have to go through the preliminary rounds. I suggest they stop looking for "gimmicks" and either forget the whole thing or present real Hebrew music.

3 comments:

Risa Tzohar said...

My douze points goes to forgetting the whole thing. Who needs it?

Sarah Likes Green said...

it's a bit amusing to watch except it was on friday night here so we couldn't watch it.

Batya said...

I didn't sit down to watch it, just passed it on the way to the kitchen a few times.

sarah, I didn't realize there was such a time difference.

It was very "kitchy," in a funny "drag" sort of way.