Thursday, November 22, 2007

Fit?


A couple of years ago I was having great fun playing basketball. Of course I was the oldest on the court, always good for the ego, even if I was the worst player.

Unfortunately, within a few months I found myself sidelined with a number of injuries. One heel hurt so much I could barely walk, and then once I found a solution to that, I pulled, probably dislocated, my shoulder. That was a real problem. As a teacher, writing on the board waist-high put me at a great disadvantage. I also suffered an injury to my jaw when a ball hit my chin and pulled that out of whack.

I used the "don't do anything that hurts" method to let all my injuries heal at their own rates.

Last year, I took an exercise class in which I kept discovering things which weren't good for my body, especially my knees.

This year I tried Curves, but the traveling is just too much and doesn't fit my schedule as well as I'd like. I haven't gotten to the pool either. Only once, since ours closed, instead of my pretty steady once a week in the previous winters.

According to an article I just read in the Times, fitness goes away much too quickly. True. I should have trained for the basketball, since I hadn't played for decades.

I asked my NY/NJ daughter to look for some exercise DVDs for me. Any recommendations?

No comments: