Thursday, December 30, 2021

Sauerkraut Beef Stew

 


We somehow found ourselves with a can of sauerkraut, and I'd been trying to figure out what to do with it. For some strange reason, I began to imagine it with beef. Just to make sure I wasn't totally crazy, I did some google searches to see if such recipes exist, not that I actually follow recipes...

The recipes I found, and there are many, weren't at all kosher. They also required "slow-cookers" which I don't have. But at last I got some reassurance that people do cook beef with canned sauerkraut. Then I asked in a facebook group that prides itself on "real world" recipes, not those awfully complicated ones. Some nice people answered. They gave recipes/cooking ideas that also use "slow-cookers" or "cover well and bake in the oven," which I didn't feel like doing. I generally simmer beef on the stove for a few hours.

Now, to be honest, we haven't eaten it yet, but it looks and smells delicious. 

Ingredients:

kilo plus of the least expensive frozen beef in the store, onion, celeriac, a few carrots, a couple of tomatoes, a can of sauerkraut, a bit of oil, coarse ground black pepper and a couple cups of water. 


Directions:

  1. thaw beef
  2. soak beef or awhile in water, and then throw out the water
  3. put beef in pot with some oil, high heat
  4. add the onions, and then turn the beef over so it browns a bit all around
  5. add vegetables, sauerkraut, water and pepper, then cover
  6. as soon as it starts to boil, turn down heat to slow simmer
  7. simmer for at least two hours
That's it!

I plan on serving it with potatoes, cooked vegetables and salad.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks amazing! My type of cooking style, no measurements, just adding what feels right!

Batya said...

Thanks, glad to know I'm not the only one who cooks like this.

heidiwil said...

In Europe we eat sauerkraut with sausages. The meaty and spicy German kind. But this also looks wonderful!

Batya said...

Thanks, it really did taste good and was so easy to make.