Tuesday, January 24, 2006

$20 isn't what it used to be

When I was a little girl, the five cent chocolate bar was big. Over the years it seemed to have shrunk and gone up in price. Could it have been my imagination that made it seem to get smaller every few years? Actually not. Instead of raising the price, the manufacturers would reduce content, little by little....

Last July when I was in New York I bought myself one of the "rolling pocketbooks," sort of like a "backpack" on wheels. It cost me $20- in Macy's, a large middle-priced department store chain. Once I got home I realized that I had made a mistake. I should have bought two of them.

It has two main compartments, both with double zippers, for easy use. It also has an "expander zipper" for enlarged capacity. I decided to use it for work. I'm a teacher and didn't want to carry around my books, since it's a long walk from the road to my school building, and I quite often do lots of walking to and from work.

I realized that I needed another bag, one for errands. A few months ago I pulled something in my shoulder and couldn't carry my regular bags. The situation was bad; another rolling bag was needed urgently.

I began checking out every single bag and suitcase store I could find in Jerusalem. I was willing to pay more, up to about $30- No luck. Then I found out that I'd be going to New York again, soon.

It was a short visit, barely a week, but I returned to Macy's for another bag. I found them. Just perfect, still $20.

Then I got it home and used it for the first time. It was different. Only one inner pocket. Then I noticed that the smaller section had only one simple zipper, and there's no "expander." It was impossible to fit everything I needed to take and be sure to have room for shopping. Yes, it's total capacity is much less than the one I bought last July.

Well, there was only thing I could do. Yes, I put my work supplies in the new one, and packed the old one for errands.

Twenty dollars just isn't what it used to be.

2 comments:

moshpitmarsha said...

I saw you in the Carnival of The Mundane.
I can relate with you. Back in Nov I bought a candle warmer for a great deal off $2.99. No need to use my discount. 2 months later I decide to buy 2 friends candles and candle warmers. I got my 25 % off for candles, however $4.99 was considered a promos, which meant no employee discount. Just 2 mnths earlier, I got a candle warmer for
$2.99. I know the holidays are over, however $4.99 should be a regular price which would enable me to use my discount.

Batya said...

Mine was "regular price." and a few years before my mother also spent $20--same store and got a much better one, but the difference wasn't as extreme as between my two, six months apart.