Sunday, January 01, 2006

It wasn't that kind of party!

It wasn't only Havel Havelim that kept me from blogging much recently. Within an hour after Shabbat had ended, I was on my way to the bus to Jerusalem.

Visiting relatives had invited us to a "dinner." They usually host a gathering of family and friends towards the end of their visits, and this time was no exception. Of course we said that we'd be attending. Our dance cards are usually very empty Motzei Shabbat. Of course, it meant that my prime blogging time would be deleted, and we'd be missing an episode of CSI Miami. I admit that we don't know how to program the vcr, and our "baby," the mechanical and technological family genius, is presently in NJ, enjoying the domestic and commercial advantages of relatives.

Having so much of my mind on Havel Havelim, it was only on Shabbat when it suddenly hit that this "dinner" was going to be on December 31st, and maybe there would, G-d forbid, be a significance more than family and friendship. I started getting nervous, especially when I heard on the news that taxis would be lowering their rates, that very same evening, to encourage their use, rather than drunk driving.

Gevalt! What had I agreed to? I found myself getting more anxious over Shabbat, probably because the house was cold. Our fuse blew about four in the morning. That meant, no heat and no hot food. It was a good thing that our guests had come for the evening meal.

Well if you follow the instructions I give my students.
Rule #1 First read the title!!!
So, if you have, you know that "it wasn't that kind of party!" It really was a wonderful gathering of family and friends, and for us, they are both! And we stayed over at our daughter's in Jerusalem, and I didn't get back home until the afternoon.

So, have a wonderful Happy Last Day of Chanukah!

No comments: