Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Nice Meal--Eating out in Israel

I'll consider this my post for Yaaqov's Restaurant Meme. The Pictures were taken in Olive &Fish, when I ate there with my parents and daughter during Succot.



Of course, my taking pictures embarrassed my company, who claimed that all that would show would be a flash of light. They don't know the powers of my Canon 620!

Now, on with the meme, which I've changed slightly....

List out your top 5 favorite places to eat at your location:

I live in Shiloh, and we don't have restaurants here. We do have a caterer named Rivka, who is highly recommended. For restaurants I go to Jerusalem. My neighbors are good cooks, and when we're invited out, it's always a treat. I don't know if they feel the same about my cooking.

1. Pizza

Sorry, I really can't answer that, since it has been years since I've eaten pizza. I no longer eat yellow cheese, and I think that the cheese used on pizza is faux cheese. That's what I've read. The dairy business makes an industrial fatty thing that melts like cheese. It has the worst of milk solids.

2. Shawarmah

Sorry, I don't eat that either. I had never tried it before my 25 years of vegetarianism, and then when I tried some, I decided that I hadn't missed anything. so I don't eat it.

3. Yemenite

There used to be a great Yemenite restaurant on Yoel Solomon Street, Jerusalem; it is now closed.

4. Ashkinazi

I prefer my own cooking.

5. Bakeries

For fancy stuff, I have two neighbors, one from New Zealand and the other from France, who bake better than any commercial bakery. For natural whole wheat, I agree with Yaaqov that Natural Choice on Agrippas is best.

6. Fallafel

My neighbor, Moshe Siton, used to have a felafel place on Rechov Meyuchas, between Machaneh Yehudah and Geula. His was the best. Now I go to Shalom Felafel, on Rechov Betzalel, near the corner of Shiloh Street. I used to buy from the Yeminite Felafel on Neviim, but they used an additive which not only tasted funny, but made me doze off.

7. Dairy

There are lots of nice dairy places in Jerusalem, but be careful if you're lactose intolerant, since many add dairy to things you'd never guess. You're better off getting vegetarian--and make sure it's really parve, not the same pan and oil as meat or fish--in a meat restaurant. Try Chez Gitta on Chavatzelet, downtown Jerusalem or the Ne'eman and Sambooki chains.

8. Coffee

I think it's outrageous that a "good cup of coffee" can cost more than a simple felafel. Coffee is definitely over-priced.

9. Sandwiches

Cafe-net in the CBS is good. And while you're there, the restaurant on the second floor, near the escalators is a good deal for "full" meals.

There's lots to eat, kosher, too, of course, and everything I've mentioned is kosher. And thanks to "Jacob DaJew", who started this meme.

7 comments:

Esser Agaroth said...

B"H Batya, You're right about Cafe-Net. Who would've thought that some corner of a mall/bus station could produce such a good sandwich? (Jerusalem Rabbanut - Mehadrin) Actually, I've never had one, but I see the time they put into making them. One of their secrets (not anymore) is shpritzing some olive-oil based salad dressing on into the [Israeli] toaster while cooking, flavoring the toasted outside.

Batya said...

I usually get the tuna on whole wheat. It's tuna and salad, without the heavy mayonaise, canned corn and other cheap fillers.

Risa Tzohar said...

I heartily second the Chez Gitta recomendation! Maybe...?

Batya said...

... we should meet there sometime?

Jacob Da Jew said...

Thanks for the link...which doesn't work, btw.

Home cooking is the best.

Anonymous said...

You are so right about pizza.
When I make pizza at home or have it in a "fine" restaurant, the cheese melts differently.

No, no to yellow cheese.

In the states, I buy the best feta cheese from Trader Joe's Market that is made in Israel. Kosher of course.

Batya said...

jdj, what the link doesn't work? I copied it from yaaqov! I was so rushed I didn't check it. Sorry!

v, my aunt's a great Trader Joe fan.