Monday, September 10, 2012

Fantastically Simple Quinoa

I'm a fan of the one-pot meal, and my quinoa recipe is to be made in one covered pot or large frying pan, yes, covered of course.

Quinoa is pretty new to most pantries, and many people haven't yet tried it, neither tasted it nor cooked it.  Have no fear.  It's a lot easier to eat and prepare than tofu and costs far less, too. 

Actually I just cooked myself a quinoa lunch.  And as it cools, I'm blogging the recipe.

I sauteed (in a covered frying pan) an, onion, a carrot and a green squash with a bit of oil.  When it was just starting to smell like it was cooking, I added a couple of tablespoons of quinoa and some boiling water.  Sorry, but I can't give exact quantities, since I didn't weigh or measure anything. 

I left it all to cook covered on a low flame until most of the water was absorbed, and then I turned off the flame and let it finish on its own.

You may certainly add whatever spices, herbs etc you like.

4 comments:

Leora said...

Glad it's not expensive for you! It's rather pricey here.

I should buy some for next week - easy to make for a hag.

Batya said...

It's lots more than rice, beans and lentils, but it's less than tofu and pretty filling. Unless tofu is cheap in NJ...

Rickismom said...

add some chopped fresh (bug-free) corriander (cuzbarah).....

Batya said...

That sounds good! If I had some in the house I would add it.