Monday, October 17, 2005

pre-Succot

Yesterday I did something I've always told my kids not to do, and when I told one of my daughters, she was horrified. I put brand-new sandals, just after paying, on my feet, sans socks, and I took a long walk. I walked from Givat Shaul, just before Har Nof, all the way to the Central Bus Station. Insanity? Daring? Irresponsible? The walk isn't much more than a mile or less, probably less than two kilometers. But to risk getting blisters and infections just a week before the Od Avihu Chai March from Shiloh to Jerusalem?

And just to relieve your curiosity, no, I'm neither blistered nor sore. The sandals, a style I hadn't seen before from Na'ot, were so comfortable, I didn't even kick them off when I got home. The store advertised bargains, but those sandals weren't among the cheapies, but they're worth every penny, shekel, dollar. I wish they would make shoes like them.

When I got off the bus at home, there was an unusual blinding, golden sunset. I tried to photograph it, but I don't think that it will come out. Then I heard the ambulance sirens. Only later did I hear about the terror attack, just north of us at Eli.

Afterwards was the first rain of the season and the usual epidemic of car accidents.

I hope it stays dry enough today for my laundry to dry. I'm allowed to say that until after Succot, since it's not supposed to rain until after Succot, at least we dont' say the "rain prayer" until then. Yes, tonight is the beginning of succot. My son#1 has promised to return early enough to put up the schach, since it's bad for my husband's back and a reason why he's glad that our brother-in-law the chiropractor visits every Succot.

I still have to decorate the succah; good thing I didn't do it earlier. All I have to do is hang up the calendar pictures, New Year's cards and some Gush Katif posters I bought. I hope the money doesn't go to Moetzet Yesha.

History! I think that I completed my first crocheted hat. My daughter will decide if it's large enough or needs another row of stitches. I'm glad that she's willing to wear it, since I don't really look good in those sort hats. I do like the crocheting, which has me amazed. It keeps me busy and is less of a bother to schlepp than my needlepoint.

Chag Same'ach

No comments: