Monday, October 31, 2005

Replying to a comment

Someone who read the latest HH sent me an email commenting how upset she was about:
Many of us Torah observant Jews have a problem with the chareidi life style, in which the men don’t work; they expect to be paid for learning. This is in direct conflict with the great Torah scholar, Maimonides, as told on
Blacktriangle.

Now I think I see what bothered her. I implied that none of them work, rather than saying what I meant that their ideal is to learn for parnasa and not work at regular jobs. Even though I know that plenty of chareidi men do hold jobs. What bothers me is that "ideal."

Here's my reply:

Thanks for writing.

I'm sorry that you see my question as "sinat chinam," because there's no hate. I'm comparing one of our greatest scholar's decision to make his parnasa from
doctoring rather than Torah and the modern (yes there was never such a high
proportion of Torah observant Jews relying on study for parnasa) custom of the
full-time kollel.

Personally I believe that Torah learning and principles should be integrated in everything we do and should be spread thoughout our people, not in isolation.

As an English teacher I've brought Parshat Shavua in English, and when the students don't know the translation of the word "doubt" I tell them that it's the same gematriya as Amalek.

I'm sorry that you miss-understood me,

Batya

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What I have always felt is that those who take on learning full time should also teach as part of their learning program. They wouldn't get paid additional money, but their Kollel stipended.

Those who aren't qualified as teachers could visit the sick and elderly (men AND women) Jewish prisoners, work in homeless kitchen etc.

Learning isn't, at least imho, something that should be done in isolation. (which is what you are saying as well, no?)

Similar learning programs could be done for women as well; learning and service together.

So, what is wrong with my suggestion? (I am really asking.)

Batya said...

yes, I agree with you

Esther said...

That sounds good to me, Rachel Ann.

Anonymous said...

Considering how little men in Kollel receive, it would be asking a lot to add on to their responsibilities. And all those who post here seem to see learning as a "freebie." So you must recognize how difficult it is for men. They work very hard at their learning and take it seriously. You also seem to feel like those in Kollel are taking advantage of society by taking money without giving back-- hence the suggestion to teach. So keep in mind that this world exists for Torah and because of Torah. We are safe because of those learning Torah. All of Klal Yisrael receives blessings because of those learning Torah. "Talmidei Chachamim Marbim Shalom ba-olam" (Brachos 64a). Trans- "Torah Scholars increase peace in the world." When you value Torah itself, you will have tremendous appreciation for those who sacrifice themselves in many ways, including monetarily, in order to learn Torah. As for the discussion of the Rambam being a doctor, he actually had a plan with his brother that the Rambam learned exclusively, and his brother worked and supported the Rambam. IT WAS ONLY WHEN HIS BROTHER WAS KILLED AT SEA THAT THE RAMBAM BECAME A DOCTOR IN ORDER TO GET PARNASA as he had no other way. If one can learn, he should. If he cannot survive without working then he must do that. I implore you to do teshuva for insulting many many men and their families who are moser nefesh for Torah and for using the Rambam as support for a view that he clearly did not hold.

Also, perhaps you can think of one modern-day Talmid Chacham who became as such without learning full-time... it doesn't exist. So since this world needs talmidei Chachamim (in part b/c of what I quoted above) perhaps those who learn full time can get your respect as well.

Perhaps all of you should look into things more clearly before you insult many Jews including all Gadolim.

Batya said...

The ideal of Judaism is the integration of study and action.