Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The other side of summer homework

I'm a high school EFL (English as a Foreign Language) teacher, and I'm still preparing the summer assignments and tests to be given this summer and first thing when school resumes. Such timing to see this op-ed in the New York Times complaining about such "homework."

Yes, I agree that the examples the writers gave were very extreme. The students in my school wouldn't do anything like what those American students are expected to do. Should I be jealous? Maybe. I don't give assignments like that, and I don't think it's right to do so.

For me, the sole purpose of "summer homework" is to minimize "summer vacation senility," my term for the very distressful and wasteful loss of foreign language skills over the long vacation from school. We take three steps forward and one or more back, making a very frustrating educational experience for all.

I'm willing to entertain my students in my own home with free English lessons if it would help them retain what I worked so hard to teach over the year. Yes, I'm serious. And since that's not possible, the best I can do is give them review assignments over the summer. Some students will even be tested during vacation in the high school, and I will test all of those who are continuing with me when studies resume.

It's an investment in my time, too, the extra summer homework. In just the right doses there's nothing wrong with it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"For me, the sole purpose of "summer homework" is to minimize "summer vacation senility," my term for the very distressful and wasteful loss of foreign language skills over the long vacation from school."

That's true in every area, right down to just maintaining the discipline to sit at a desk and take notes. Having said that, it's way easier when studying politics since there's always *something* political in front of you whatever time of year.

Batya said...

My students would really like it if I'd assign: see 10 movies, and enjoy, but their parents may object.