Monday, June 26, 2006

Competition


I've never liked competition, and I was happy when pedagogic philosophers invented the term: "learning for learning's sake." It was a good "cop out."

I really enjoy blogging; it keeps me sane by giving me an outlet for my thoughts. Not that many years ago, I'd have to try to hustle as a free lance writer, but now, I teach for money and blog for fun. It's just that JBlog Central is adding a new element, competition.

Yes although, B"H, bli eyin haraa, I am doing well with two blogs in the top 50, I'm finding myself wasting time checking up and wondering why I "only" got such a score. Others have so many votes it seems like there must be reminders on their blogs to vote for them. I can't do that.

Actually, the time I'm wasting could be going into reading other people's blogs, laundry, dishes and general cleaning. Maybe even a social life and phone calls. I hope to learn to control my curiosity and nascent competitive instincts.

There are other things in this world besides blogging, no?

2 comments:

Sarah Likes Green said...

Chodesh Tov!

Yes, there are other things in life than blogging. But it's fun and interesting so that's why we do it! I missed it a bit for the couple of days I was away, now there is so much to catch up on!

Batya said...

Very true. Some of my favorite have taken "breaks." Sort of like sabbaticals.