Sunday, June 18, 2006

"when I'm 64"

It's getting closer. Yesterday my friend and I discussed the financial benefits, the discounts, since she just turned 60. And headlines all over blast that Paul McCartney Is 64! Wow!

There haven't been so many articles about age, since the baby-boomers began hitting 30, 30 years ago. That's since one of our slogans was: "Don't trust anyone over thirty!"

Sir Paul was always an inspiring "older guy." We couldn't think of the Beatles as being "really old." But it's sad to think that he's alone at 64, widowed from his beloved wife and now separated from his second one and toddler daughter. His song of today is probably Money Can't Buy Me Love.

And in the meantime, along with my fellow baby boomers, I'm starting to check out all the reduced rates I can look forward to. Retirement is a whole new lifetime, G-d willing.

2 comments:

Yitzchak Goodman said...

I remember seeing the Beatles on television on TV in 1969 or so.
They had beards, and I associated beards in my childish mind with being
very old. Lennon had those granny glasses also. So I thought they were
probably all grandfathers.

Batya said...

That was towards the end, post-St. Pepper. Hard to believe how quickly they rose and fell.