Thursday, June 15, 2006

Marathon dreams

During my jogging days, which lasted over four years, I had dreams of running a marathon. Don't all joggers? Of course, I knew that a jogger's pace wouldn't break any records, but it was a matter of pride, doing the distance, endurance!

If I could run around my neighborhood a few times without stopping, certainly I could increase my distance and eventually run the required 26 miles, 385 yards. Needless to keep you in suspense, so I'll let you know that I never got close. Actually, even after four years of running, ok, jogging, it never got easier. Increasing my distance and speed were impossible dreams. My body just wasn't designed for running.

During those four years and a couple of months of almost daily jogs, I endured more pain in my knees and back than any other time in my life, and that includes five full-term pregnancies.

It's not that I'm sedentary by nature, no way. I can easily walk for miles, as I've done in the Od Avihu Chai March from Shiloh to Jerusalem. All right, I must admit that we haven't walked the entire way, which is similar to the official marathon's distance, since the first year, but we do walk a good portion of it, and I generally feel better the longer I walk. I also like to do Israeli Folk Dances, which are very active, and I play basketball, too.

This article makes me feel better about aborting my jogging career. It tells how amateur runners can seriously damage their hearts. It's not just a risk to your knees and ankles. There are much better and safer ways to keep fit, so in just over an hour, I'll take the five minute walk to our local pool.

No comments: