Monday, February 25, 2008

What's Next? Gevalt!

Do bad things come in three? I hope not.

Last night, while I was doing my usual at my usual perch here in the den on the computer, suddenly mail on mozilla refused to upload, or whatever the term is. I can send, but I can't receive. So if anyone has sent us a letter to our netvision address since last night, we haven't received it. I turned the computer off/on etc but no new mail, even though we get those funny pop-ups telling us that mail is waiting. I emptied all sorts of unnecessary mail from the mailboxes and compacted them, but nothing. Everything works but the inbox. I sent a letter from yahoo to our computer maven, but I haven't heard from him yet. Big problem is that he no longer lives nearby. I may need a new computer maven. It's like changing doctors or dentists, not easy. We use the same electrician who did our house when it was being built. That's the way I like it. Our computer maven has been caring for dear computer for years and keeps records like a good doctor.

Then I decided to look at the new exercise DVDs, a Richard Simmons collection, my kids had bought me. Did you guess it? The DVD holder doesn't open. I tried all of my tricks, with the remote, from the DVD, you name it--no DVD. We have one of those VCR-DVD combos, since there isn't space for two separate machines in the place we have the TV.

Yes, these are all material things, not people, not health. So, maybe the fact that my father's medicine prescriptions arrived here, by snail mail, as my son was on his way to the airport to NY and couldn't bring back the medication be the third thing.

Everything must be looked at in proportion to their true importance. Yes, easy to be philosophical in theory. Now, to get the machines fixed.

PS some good news! Blogger's spellcheck is back in operation.

2 comments:

Leora said...

I can relate to that sinking feeling when you get a computer problem. Maybe you can think of it as a connecting to people problem...it doesn't feel good if you can't connect. Though I suppose the same analogy won't work for your DVD/VCR player.

Batya said...

We just had the maven over, and he tried everything and contacted netvision which kept denying that they are the problem until he proved otherwise. Then he told us about ebox which will allow us access.
The DVD is something else, of course...
But it's not health!!!