Friday, February 15, 2019

Attractive, Easy to Make Healthy Shabbat or Anytime Food

Bake and serve dishes are favorites for my Shabbat Menu. Here are a couple of Attractive, Easy to Make Healthy Shabbat dishes you may like. I'm vague about quantities and ingredients, because I don't measure, and I also don't obsess about having specific ingredients. That's my approach to cooking:
  • be flexible, spontaneous
  • don't obsess
When I have an oven, not something I take them for granted*, baked vegetables are on the menu. I have a variety of bake and serve oven pans, so that even the simplest of baked vegetables can look very fancy.

The photo on the right shows "orange vegetables," baked with just a bit of cinnamon and oil. On a "bed" of onion slices, no need to cut exact anything, I placed carrots, sweet potatoes and pumpkin in that order. I bake them in a medium oven, heat from the bottom, until they look baked and are soft.

Tonight's main course is pretty much a "one pot meal," besides being "bake and serve." It doesn't include any carbohydrates, so if you eat carbs, have them on the side with salad.

I layered onion and squash, maybe eggplant, too, on the bottom of the baking pan. I used chopped/minced turkey (500 gram, just over a pound) with onion and a small 100 gram container of tomato paste, plus garlic.

Spread the turnkey on top, with a large spoon and then, as you can see, top with fresh tomatoes. I then added just a spoon or so of vegetable oil and then baked it in a medium oven, heat on top, until it drew from the sides of the pan.


You can substitute ground meat, beef, chicken or a combination. Consider it a version of a meatloaf or musaka.

Cooking should be enjoyable and creative.

Shabbat Shalom UMevorach
Have a Peaceful and Blessed Shabbat

*During the year before our kitchen was renovated, we didn't have a functioning oven.

3 comments:

Jayce said...

Hey, sister, I had just finished pulling out roasted sweet potatoes from the oven when I saw your post. Such similar menus! Last night I made a one pan hamburger, onion, cabbage, fresh tomatoes and tomato sauce for Shabbat too. I like your fresh tomato decoration better. I have also limited carbs (for 1 month), except for challah - What do you do about that? Plus chicken wings, a couple of veg. salads (I have used roasted cherry tomatoes as a decoration on on of them!;), a little saute'ed fish and that's it

I have great respect for your health advice and info, so am happy to see our menus are so close this time.

Shabbat Shalom to you and the family!

Shelly said...

Looks good! I like creative ways to combine a protein and vegetables and enjoy seeing new ideas. I've been preparing chicken breasts or fish fillets over a bed of chopped cabbage, mushrooms, peppers and fennel (they cook quickly, so they work well with the fish and chicken breasts) or preparing batches of seasoned stir fried pieces of chicken breast or browned ground beef (often with taco seasoning) that are great mixed into fresh salads - great for Shabbat lunches and weekdays (I often make a big batch and freeze some in individual portions).

Batya said...

Jayce, thanks, glad you enjoy my cooking and yours is similar.
Shelly, When I cook chicken breasts, it's with vegetables. And this vegetable meatloaf was a big success. We'll eat it all week.