Thursday, May 21, 2020

Another Delivery, Golden Age in Corona Lock-down

To be perfectly honest, we're no longer completely locked-down. But we are restricted. We're allowed out and traveling, even on public transportation, as long as we're masked. A few weeks into the lock-down when corona virus, COVID-19 was growing in numbers, I  signed us up for prepared meals as a treat. Constantly cooking, three meals a day for each of us was getting me down. Even though we're just two people, my husband and I are on different food regimes to try to keep our weights down. His is more portion control of carbohydrates and proteins, while I have to stay away from carbohydrates. The bonus to being on this meal list was getting food staples and toilet paper.

After Passover we got a couple of half-empty cartons of stuff, but this week we received lots more.



Besides the toilet paper, which we won't have to buy until next winter, there were beets, oranges, onions, potatoes, carrots, sesame paste, pasta, rice, cookies, salt, sugar, dates, tuna fish, jam, canola oil, long-life milk and a great challenge to fit it all into the pantry. BTW that's just a partial list of what was very efficiently packed into the cartons.

We're on a very limited income, and I will find a way to use pretty much everything we've received. I've blogged recipes for some of the food made with the goodies we've gotten.

I'm grateful that we're here in Israel, and the government is being generous. Most municipalities or regional councils have been providing similar packages to senior citizens. And, yes, if you're wondering, everything is strictly kosher.

Take care. How are you managing?

6 comments:

rutimizrachi said...

I am so happy communities are taking care of people! We also get assistance from ours: there are people getting financial assistance; there are lovely souls who shop for people and drive individuals around to do errands (masked and in the back of the car, rather than near the driver]; our makolet (until restrictions lifted) had a sign-up sheet for shoppers to attempt to control attendance; a local park was restricted to elderly for a short period of time each day... and so on. No one has absolute answers -- but the care and concern have been well-intentioned and very thoughtful.

Batya said...

Thanks Gd. I went to the makolet/grocers this morning. I wore a mask as all golden-agers should. After paying I left all my purchases neatly packed in the wagon, and the manager arranged for a delivery. We don't have a car.
This way I multi-tasked by shopping and safely walking.

Shelly said...

Everyone should be wearing a mask, not just golden agers and anyone else at risk - the mask each person wears protects others more than themselves; we are protecting each other. And if those around you aren't wearing them, you are not well protected. As for being able to use public transportation, the fact that the government allows it doesn't necessarily mean it's actually safe, especially on buses that come to places such as Shilo - the specifications for traveling in any vehicle with more than one person note the need for open windows for ventilation, and our buses have no windows that can be opened. They are breeding grounds...

Batya said...

Shelly, you're right. But not everyone has a car. So far I haven't traveled, but my husband has.

Shelly said...

True. But having or not having one is a choice, I didn't receive mine on a gift platter; I work hard for it. And even having a car I don't travel anywhere at the moment that isn't absolutely necessary, not really safe to go anywhere. It is hard in different ways for each of us. But I feel like safety is the צו השעה. There are many things I would like to do like having a meal with even one another person - imagine months of Shabbat and chag seudot alone, not to mention all the weekdays... I have been invited out for shabbat meals, and despite the temptation declined as it is not safe - can't keep distance and wear masks at a meal.

Batya said...

Life isn't a computer game. No way to "undo" and start all over again. We don't have cars, and we won't have cars. Yes, one car would never have sufficed if he had taken that "road."