Wednesday, August 17, 2005

burying my head

I'm embarrassed to say, but I need a break. All day I've been on the computer and also met with neighbors to say T'hillim. And I promised to help in the yishuv office later.

And I haven't even washed the dishes, and it's so hot, but how can I complain? People are being driven out of their homes by a dictator and "good" soldiers are obeying orders like...

The world is comfortably ignoring it all in their air conditioned homes.

And I feel so useless.

I'm going to bury my head in my laundry and try to sort and put it all away. I haven't done it since before I went to the states, and that was over a month ago. And when I returned I had to quickly do the wash, because it was almost the 9 days and then it was Shabbat and no time, and since then I didn't deal with the clean laundry except to look for necessary items. And then after the 10th of Av I did a ton more laundry though my husband's grey underwear still hasn't been bleached. But there's plenty clean and white for him to wear. And maybe now, the next time I ever go and leave him alone, he'll learn to sort his clothes more carefully.

It's like that joke that used to make the rounds on the internet, about the husband who arrives home and finds his house a mess and the kitchen flooded with junk and his wife in bed, lounging and he asks her what happened.

And she replies: "Today, I didn't do the nothing I usually do."

Well, I haven't done that "nothing" for awhile. It seems so trite and petty when others are suffering, but I do have a house, at least in the meantime. Bli eyin haraa.

Because if you read what the Arabs say, without any shame or subtlety, we're all on their list. Minimum is back to 1967, then the recommendations of the UN, until we're all, G-d forbid, thrown in the sea.

And who knows if anyone actually reads all this. Sometimes I really wonder. And does anyone care?

No comments: