Wednesday, August 24, 2005

The Beatles Remembered, Never Forgotten


When I want to feel young, I listen to the music of my youth, like the Beatles. Today's "NY Times" has a nice op-ed about them. The author gives his perspective and memories.

Of course, mine are different. I first heard of the Beatles from an English penpal. She sent me a clipping and circled a picture of John, saying that he was her favorite. A short while later, their music crossed the ocean, and later, them, too.

A friend of mine got a ticket to the Ed Sullivan show, because her father worked for the TV network.

Looking back, I must say that their early songs were just charismatic energy, and they stayed popular for one big reason, their talents as individuals and as a group. Unlike many performers and stars, their music constantly grew and evolved. There's no real resemblance between "I Want to Hold Your Hand" and "Strawberry Fields" or "Eleanor Rigby." During my teens, when I used to hang around with some local bands, we considered Help! to be one of the most difficult songs to sing properly. And they all continued creating after their break-up, that's all four of them.

The picture is from here.

No comments: