Sunday, August 07, 2005

An Enjoyable Visit to a Museum




The pictures are of my parents at the large mural of the Holy Temple. We visited the museum earlier in the summer.

For some people all of Israel is a museum. There's some truth to it when you think of the history connected to every nook and cranny. I remember my cousin's son visiting me in Shiloh, when we walked down to the ancient tel, he suddenly said: "This is the place I learned about in Hebrew School!"

There's a lovely, very accessible museum in Jerusalem that traces the ancient Biblical societies and cultures. It's the Bible Land Museum. It's located in Givat Ram near the Kenesset and the Israel Museum. A few weeks ago I went there with my parents.

First of all unlike some of the larger museums, there's no hike necessary to enter, and there are easily accessible elevators to every floor. Besides that, we were given a light-weight plastic stool to sit on for reading the captions. Since this is a history museum, it's really helpful to be able to sit and read at one's leisure, rather than standing or sitting too far from the signs.

Of course we were captivated by the ancient jewelry and household items. Some looked so modern we would have bought them if they were newly made. Though we made up for that by later shopping in the gift shop. We were amazed by the fantastic needlepoint tapestries specially designed to tell Biblical stories.

The most irresistible was the large mural of the entrance to the Holy Temple. I posed my parents in front and shot those pictures.

We spent a wonderful few hours, and I highly recommend that you visit.

2 comments:

Esther said...

They look pretty young! You're lucky to have such good genes. :)

Batya said...

Bli eyin haraa, 80 and 85. Yes, good genes.