Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Losing It!

I wish I could lose weight as easily as I lose my temper. This year, since I have hardly made it to the pool, I put on half a size at least. The skirts (straight), which had been very roomy for years, just fit now. My weekly swim, including the steam and sauna rooms and back into the pool, had taken a size plus off a few years ago, and my size had stayed stable. No, I don't weigh myself. The summer 4-6 times a week in the local pool helps muscle tone. This year is awful, and my lack of regular activity changed my appetite, so I'm hungrier for carbs. I can see the changes in my body, and they're not nice and hard to "cancel."

And re: "temper." Yesterday I "lost it." Two computers were put in the teachers room for our use. Great. I've done lots of lessons and tests on one, which had been on the "ladies' side." It was moved to the other side, next the the "new" one. Yesterday I took out my "portable computer memories;" I have two. I tried using one, then the other, in the new computer. Nothing came up. Then a teacher showed me the "other hole" and it worked. But the computer wasn't set up for English. It kept breaking into Hebrew and I was ctrl/z-ing constantly. So I tried the other computer, which had never given me problems when on "Word." It kept closing down. I wasted my entire "window," as they call a wasted lesson here, when you don't get paid, but you're teaching the lessons before and after. The lesson I was writing shouldn't have taken me more than ten minutes, but 45 were spent on it. I was angry, but OK, until I mentioned something about it to another teacher who said:
"You should do all your preparation at home."

That was all I needed to hear.
"I waste too much time here already! My traveling is a nightmare. How much time should I be just sitting around?"
"If you don't like it, quit."
"And lose my rights, tenure, etc? Let them pay me to leave!" etc.
It was not a very pleasant time.

6 comments:

Leora said...

Sorry to hear about your crummy day.

Batya said...

Thanks!
Teaching is the fun part. I just wish they could "beam" me there and back, like in Star Trek.

Risa Tzohar said...

What chutzpah! Was this a person in some administrative position or just a nobody?

Batya said...

Just another teacher.

Anonymous said...

You make me feel so normal!
My big jeans aren't!

Batya said...

Vicki, I'm sure you're very normal!