Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Lunch From a Legend

The Kapulski Coffee Shop used to be in Zion Square, the heart of downtown Jerusalem. Then quite a few years ago, the building was sold, torn down and Kapulski has been wandering around ever since. I don't know what the business/family relationship is to the one I found in the Pisgat Zeev Mall.

Pisgat Zeev Mall
It has all the right decor to try to show that it has a history, but as I remember the old one was small, very small.

Kapulski's in Pisgat Zeev 1
I was back on my quest to find the perfect
lunch for under ns20. But when I looked at the coffee shop, I didn't see any sign that they offered more than irresistible cake and trendy coffee.

Kapulski's cakes in Pisgat Zeev
Though if I really was a good detective, I would have noticed this:
Kapulski's in Pisgat Zeev 2
A young woman working there was alert enough to notice me and ask what I was looking for. She showed me a menu. I asked if there was a "take-out" menu. She asked what I wanted.


"A simple sandwich."
"That's just nineteen shekels."
"Really?"
"Yes, what type? Which bread?"

I ordered a tuna sandwich on wholewheat. They made it on the spot, not like in most sandwich places, where the sandwiches could, and probably are, hours old.

There was plenty of egg mixed with the tuna, and next time I'll tell them to "hold the mayo," but as you can see, it was OK and large enough for a full meal.
my sandwich
And since this is about food, just a reminder to send in your kosher food links--everything concerning kosher food-- for the Kosher Cooking Carnival. Please submit your posts and any others you deem suitable for KCC via blog carnival. This month's KCC will be hosted by Little Frumhouse on the Prairie .

2 comments:

Leora said...

Yum. It's no wonder you crave carbs...your camera is focused on the most delicious ones...

Batya said...

But I only ate the sandwich. I didn't buy a coffee. I brought my water from home and ate in the teachers room.