Thursday, March 20, 2008

Do I Want To Be A Blogging Star?



Or is the question do I want to be any sort of star?

Articles like this one from the New York Times make it all seem so simple.

Just like not everyone who goes filled with dreams and ambitions to Hollywood will be a movie star.

As a blogger, it is easy to get one's 10 minutes of fame. Not on the level of a Tom Cruise or Joan Collins, must pick someone younger, Paris Hilton.

Many of us find a post or two suddenly getting hundreds or thousands of hits, and then...

It's like being the wallflower of the cyberdance floor.

I'm sure I'm not the only blogger who would love to be a paid writer, but the hustle is harder than blogging, even on three blogs. Of course, at times I think of myself as rather schizophrenic with a variety of voices.

But I do wish to thank the friend who sent me the link.

4 comments:

Leora said...

I bet you could be a paid writer. Didn't Rabbi Akiva learn the alef-bet at age 40?

Two things:
1) you need to find periodicals that would like your writing. My guess is look beyond Israel and try the U.S. For example, see this article that my friend wrote:
http://thejewishstate.net/march1408opedisrael.html
2)Fine tune your journalistic skills. Maybe you can take an online course to get feedback from a professional. Or maybe you know someone?

Enjoy the rest of Purim. Best wishes for your father.

Batya said...

Thanks
40 was a long time ago.
I'd love ideas of which periodicals would pay me. I don't expect to be rich, but it would be nice to have a new profession. I can never understand how people can work at the same thing for decades.
thanks re my father

Leora said...

My friend at http://www.koshergourmetmart.com/ had some periodical in her house that looked like Glamour magazine but was a Jewish living periodical. That's one angle to try. I'll look for some ideas and names of periodicals.

Happy Shushan Purim.

Batya said...

leora, thanks so much!!