Thursday, June 18, 2009

Delicious Kosher Restaurant Diet Meals

I had absolutely no problem sticking to my new eating plan/style while eating out in kosher restaurants during my two weeks in New York. It was possible to have delicious and filling low carbohydrate meals in every restaurant I went to, and I was in at least half a dozen for sure, most probably more. I ate out almost every day.

There's more advice for dieters eating out on the Fresh Start Diet Blog. I'll try to list the various restaurants at the end of this post. I went to a variety of kosher restaurants:
  • pizza
  • bagel
  • meat

In both the pizza and bagel places, it was always possible to get a tuna with salad plate/platter. The menu generally offered a starch/carbohydrate plus salad, but it was always possible to get either more salad or two different types.

In the meat restaurants, deli, Israeli etc, there were many choices of non-breaded meat, poultry or fish. There, too, the standard was a protein, salad and carb, but every single restaurant offered a cooked vegetable (frequently steamed) and a fresh salad.

Portions were large enough, so that I wasn't tempted to even taste the desserts. The friends and relatives I ate with rarely ordered desserts.










Bagel Mentsh, Middleneck Road, Great Neck, NY
Mr. Broadway, Broadway, NYC
Olympic Pita, West 38, NYC
Mendy's, both the East 34th Street branch and the one in the East 50's, NYC
Tel Aviv, Middleneck Road, Great Neck, NY
Shish Kabob, Middleneck Road, Great Neck, NY
? Pizza, Middleneck Road, Great Neck, NY

That's all I can remember.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very mouth-watering shots Batya.

Batya said...

Thanks!
It drove my daughter crazy that I kept snapping pictures of the food I ordered.
None of these meals are fattening!

Anonymous said...

Awesome dishes in the photos. Its really interesting to read you experience in New York. I like One of the Kosher Restaurant DELICIOUS-MENU - ERETZ KOSHER FOODSwhere I enjoyed my holidays with varieties of healthy food and dishes.