Sunday, January 06, 2008

Nu? New? Nu?

What's cooking is that I'm attempting to use my* slow-cooker again. I tried a few years ago, trying some lentil stew on "low," but it never cooked. So now I added cooked chicken and various veggies on "high," it still looks like nothing's cooking. If it doesn't "cook" by the time my husband makes it home, I'll have to transfer it to the stove.

*I got it from my married daughter, who got a few as wedding gifts.

Sorry, but I'm posting more on Shiloh Musings. That includes pictures and that's more where my head is at present.

And while I'm here, just to remind you...
Don't forget that it's never too soon to send in your links for the Kosher Cooking Carnival. If you're interested in hosting a future KCC, please let me know, shilohmuse at yahoo dot com. Please submit your posts and any others you deem suitable for KCC via blog carnival.

Have a great week!

13 comments:

yingerman said...

oh a crockpot only warms on low - after the food cooked
I use it for chulent all thursday night on high friday afternoon low

makes the jachnoon delish!!

Batya said...

I had it on high and it only got "cooking" after I covered it. The meat was already cooked, just the veggies and rice needed to cook. Once I get used to it, I'll try Shabbat, but is it left "on" or "off" with timer?

Lady-Light said...

I am hereby tagging you with the 8-Ball Meme or the 7 Weird Things About Me Meme -- take your pick!

Batya said...

Sorry, ll, but I've done it.

mother in israel said...

You didn't cover it? That explains it right there. Or else it's broken. The newer ones are hotter, by the way. You should also fill it at least half full.

Batya said...

It was covered with the glass cover, but it didn't start cooking until I put the towel on. Now I know. I must try again.

mother in israel said...

The glass cover should be enough. It sounds like it's broken.

Batya said...

It was only used around three times.

Maybe I'm just impatient, time-wise.

Elisson said...

A slow cooker and a crockpot are the same thing...and it sounds as if yours may be broken or defective.

I can put a chunk of meat and some veggies mit barley in our crockpot in the morning, set it on "low," and have dinner ready by the end of the day. It's a low, slow cooking process that is well suited to braising tough cuts of meat.

Or, we'll load ours up with meatballs, chili sauce, and grape jelly, set it on high, and a couple of hours later have sweet/sour meatballs for a party.

Lady-Light said...

You should leave the slow cooker on for Shabbat, either from erev Shabbat without a timer, all day on "low," or with a timer set to shut off around the time you'll be eating it, maybe 2:00 p.m. or whenever it's מתאים for you.
When I used a crockpot (haven't for a while), I sometimes braised the meat/onions/garlic in a little oil in a frying pan first to brown, and then placed them in the pot, added vegies and water, etc., set on HIGH first, then after an hour or two (after it boiled & was mainly cooked)or more, turned it down to "low."
Good luck with it (I'm already getting hungry!)

Batya said...

ellison, ll,
Thank you both for the advice. I'll have to do more experimenting. It may be defective, but it does cook when extra covering is added.

mother in israel said...

No need to saute vegetables in a crockpot.

Batya said...

It's more of a stew, right?
I'll do another experiment today.