Saturday, January 12, 2008

Freezing!

I suffer from cold hands and feet.


Today was particularly painful. Somehow my feet felt frozen solid.
I've had this problem for years. Many, many years ago, my toes were pink and swollen, and I was sure that I had infections around the nails. So I'd put ointment and heavy cotton socks, and they'd get better, but after wearing regular socks, they got worse. Finally, I went to a top dermatologist who told me that there was no infection. I had chilblains. I had seen the word in old books, but I never knew what it meant. It's actually a form of frostbite.
Once the skin tissue is damaged, there's always a tendency for it to return. I can't clean out my freezer, because my fingers blow up. If I'm desperate, I'll wear heavy gloves.
I must buy some special thermal socks, if they exist.

5 comments:

Toto said...

Have you tried looking in one of those stores with camping gear??? There are special socks for people who hike in extreme conditions that are made to thermally insulate your feet. You may find some good gloves there too.

Good Luck and feel good!

Sarah Likes Green said...

very warm socks - try camping stores.

Batya said...

Actually, yesterday I did go into a camping store to look for thermal socks. They were horrendously expensive, the cheapest being ns50 a pair, and they're too thick to wear with my shoes. I need something much thinner, like I bought about 33 years ago.

Anonymous said...

Would you wear "Crocs"? I have been wearing them with warm socks all winter, and they are wonderful. They insulate your feet from the cold floor much better than any shoes I have. This year I am on shabaton annd studying at Bar Ilan, so wear them all the time. I have decided I will wear them next year, at school, too. They are warm, very comfortable and I can walk a lot in them without getting tired. So - that is more important than fashion (at least at our age, in my opinion)!
sara g

Batya said...

I'm just not a "slipper" person, and Crocs give me a slipper feel. I wear strong comfortable shoes with thick soles, but they don't do enough from the cold. Nothing does. I haven't found the right boots either.