Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Soup, of Course, for Breaking the Fast or Any Time


I made a large pot of soup, and it's almost gone. Just my husband and I are home to eat it, and he also got some noodles. But I didn't make anything else to break the 17th of Tammuz fast.

  • brown lentils  1/3 cup
  • split peas 1/3 cup
  • onion 1 large
  • fresh garlic a few pieces
  • carrots 4 big ones
  • squash 1
  • oil, salt and pepper to taste
Yes, those are all of the ingredients, and no, I don't measure. I can't say exactly how much of anything, but I'll try to give you an idea by giving quantities, but please don't taken them as required. You should be flexible according to what you like and what you have in the house. I was going to add fresh pumpkin, but the carrots were so big and thick, it didn't seem necessary. You can certainly decide to use more or less of the peas and lentils or just use one kind instead of both. Instead of the squash add another carrot or sweet potato or fresh pumpkin. And of course you can and probably should add fresh greens, celery or parsley. It would make a better soup. That's how flexible soup-making should and can be.
  • Check lentils and peas for bugs, stones etc.
  • Put in pot and add hot water to cover, plus, then cover and let it sit for an hour or two or more.
  • Cut up the vegetable, add to peas and lentils to cook. Also add water and oil. Reduce time by adding boiling water.
  • When they seem almost ready (soft,) add the salt and pepper.
  • Simmer a bit longer and then leave covered about a half an hour before serving.

No comments: