Friday, December 22, 2006

While the candles were burning...



While my own, not quite candles--actually, olive oil was burning, I took a walk around the neighborhood. The seventh night of Chanukah; just one more left, but that will be Shabbat, so I had to make due with the almost full chanukiyot.

From the sidewalk I couldn't see too much detail, just enough. Too bad I don't do the audial thing, since some neighbors were lighting as I went by. It was lovely hearing the blessings. Almost like Succot, when we're living in "little huts" out of doors. Acoustics are always bad, so one must remember that the neighbors can hear it all.


I must admit that I felt a bit like a spy, but except for people who may live in the actual homes, I don't think anyone can guess whose windows were photographed. I don't even know, certainly can't remember from these.

5 comments:

Sarah Likes Green said...

it's nice to be able to walk around and see all the candles burning. cos that's the mitzvah... to publicise the miracle.

a friend said her niece wanted to see the menorahs last friday night and they went for a walk around the area. turns out they were wondering where ours was as we'd put it by the back window for that night!

shabbat shalom

Batya said...

Yes it is.
It's only when I was walking around that I discovered that my own is difficult to see from the street.

Anonymous said...

oy i love these pictures...but then i'm just a pushover for a happy ending...we had the family over on tuesday...kids and babies and Bubbie Channah...oldest 83 and youngest 2...tfu tfu tfu...little faces glowing in the light of the menorahs...ahhhhhh...stay safe and a sweet shabbat

Batya said...

that must have been lovely, 4 generations
I hope you took a lot of pictures!

Batya said...

gracias
hasta la vista