Monday, December 18, 2006

Yes, it's true. There is an easy way to make lasagna!

Until very recently, lasagna was one of those things I only ate in restaurants. I couldn't imagine how an ordinary person like myself could do something that seems so intrinsically complicated.

I once bought those rectangular pasta pieces to make some at how, but cooking them and separating them to layer with the food were beyond my culinary capabilities.

Then a friend told me that her sister told her that you don't have to pre-cook the pasta, just add enough water. Yes, it's true!

So here's a vegetable, total vegetarian version, maybe even good enough for vegans, if they're not celiac sufferers.

Place the pasta on the bottom of the baking dish. Then add layers of vegetables, thinly sliced. I used:
  • eggplant
  • squash
  • onion


cropped veg las 011
cropped veg las side 012
Then I poured some crushed tomatoes and granulated garlic. After that I made a very quick tomato sauce by combining:

  • tomato paste (I use the 28-30%, but any is ok, including ready-made)
  • oil
  • water
  • spices

You can do it in the microwave, or just use boiling water. Remember that it will cook in the oven when you're baking the lasagna. When I say "easy," I mean really easy, like in super-simple!

Pour most of it over the vegetables, and then add the next layer of pasta. My pan was very shallow, so I didn't use multiple layers, but you can. Also, I like to reduce calories, so I just use a top and bottom layer of pasta.

On top of the pasta is the rest of the sauce, diluted a bit. Your quantities should be according to your pan.



Cover with foil and bake.

You'll see and smell it bubbling, especially if the pan is clear.

This is the basic recipe. You can use different vegetables, add cheese or chopped meat. Whatever you want.

It really is easy to make!


cropped veg las finished 014

No comments: