Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Is It Really Thanksgiving?!?!

I must admit something. I didn't think about that at all when I scheduled this edition of the Kosher Cooking Carnival. We just don't "do" Thanksgiving. We left America for Israel in August, 1970, and since then I think we celebrated it just once. So, don't be disappointed if there's no turkey!

#24
Finishing the second year of the
Kosher Cooking Carnival!



Looking back, here's a listing of all the previous KCC's:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 and 23 .

It's really something, thinking about how all this began. A post I had sent to another recipe/food carnival was rejected, because the carnival that week had a theme. The theme was pork. It wasn't a pleasant feeling. Was that a blogger version of anti-semitism? I had to react. What should I do, besides protesting to the carnival "owner?" I had already hosted a few
Havel Havelim's, so I had some experience with blog carnivals, but I wondered if there would be "a market," any interest in a kosher food blog carnival. I blogged about my dilemma. One of my first and most enthusiastic supporters was Ezzie. He even guest hosted an early KCC. And that's why and how it all began. Quite a few jbloggers have volunteered to guest host. Please let me know if you're interested.

Let's start with some special
cater your own wedding punch submitted by Daniel. Sounds yummy! It can be served at any festive occasion.

Daf notes discusses the halachik status of
food vows/oaths. Interesting points.

Teddy, last month's guest host posted a recipe for a delicious
chicken cacciatore. He seems to be on an Italian roll (bad pun), because here are some Italian Meatballs. There's also a very nice looking recipe for pumpkin bread. I wonder if I can use a fork, rather than a whisk and soy oil instead of canola.

This month, my food posts were mostly about restaurants, like
this lovely Jerusalem coffee shop. Yes, and another one, which I actually revisited; it's even better than it was the first time.

This looks amazing:
Juggling Frogs' Bread Cornucopia. And Recipe for Donuts "Dunkin-style" (pareve), too.

And would you believe
kosher ham soda, whatever it may be, from my husband? He also sent me this link for the Holocaust Survivor Cookbook.

Rafi G. of Life in Israel posts a very informative Shemitta post about
Yevul Nochri.

Therapy Doc posts an interesting piece about
baking and "substance abuse." It's actually a blog carnival.

Do you make the best cholent? I don't. Thanks to the Lakewood Venter for the link.

Mottel's
dessert sounds delicious.

Carolyn presents
Make your own cookie cutter from clip-art and a foil pan posted at Juggling Frogs. She's totally amazing!

Try the
Raw Peach Cobbler on Natural Family Living.

Read Kosher Newbie's
Guilt and Yum. The products are in the states I guess, since nothing seemed Israeli.

Cindy presents
Cinnamon Raisin Biscuits (Vegan) posted at Cindalou's Healthy Gluten Free and Dairy Free Recipes. That definitely looks good!

That's it for this month. If you're interested in hosting a future KCC, please let me know, shilohmuse at yahoo dot com. Please submit your posts and any you deem suitable for KCC via
blog carnival. The Kosher Cooking Carnival is more than just recipes. Any post about kosher food or kashrut is welcome.


Thanks to all of you, and please post and link this KCC to your blog.

10 comments:

Avromi said...

Thanks for including mine; hopefully, my wife will look at some of the recipes.

Kashrut News said...

Very nice work, thank you. We'll try to submit something for the next KCC.

Sarah Likes Green said...

yum yum.

:)

therapydoc said...

This was a pretty cool way to "do" Thanksgiving, honestly.

Batya said...

avromi, kashrut news, ~sarah~, tdoc,
thank you all! Just send in your kosher food posts throught the month. No limit on how many

Ted Gross said...

Thank you. Great Job....and the story behind starting KCC was cool!

Teddy

Batya said...

Teddy, thanks so much. Nothing like a little "anti-semitism" or "insensitivity" to minorities to spur one on.

Ted Gross said...

Batya:

There is good and bad everywhere. You know when I first began Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen, my biggest worry was that since the rule was it had to be a "kosher" recipe if someone wanted to submit, I would be getting a lot of nasty comments or just not get anywhere.

The truth is that many people who comment or submit are not only not kosher but not Jewish. One woman, from Boston, an Irish Catholic, sent in last year a great recipe for Braided Challah, and then afterwards I got an email from her with the subject "Recipe for Sufganiyot"!(Which of course I posted.)

I have found that most people are really cool when it comes to kosher, and happen to love it. And despite my original misgivings, my experience from readers all over the world, is that they are really great people and fun as well.

We take the good with the bad and hope that in life, the scales tip to the good.

Teddy

And Happy Thanksgiving!

Batya said...

Teddy, thanks and so true. It's only assimilated Jews who feel kashrut to be some sort of stigma or disability. Other people respect Jews who respect themselves.
A couple of years ago a Mormon who reads this blog tried my sufganiyot and posted about it with photos!

zma said...

I admire the high commitment you put on this blog and the desire to share your thoughts to everyone. Thumbs up!