Wednesday, January 09, 2008

No Olive Oil!

Yesterday, before the Human Chain Around the Jerusalem City Walls," I needed some physical nourishment and went to Sambooki for lunch. I ordered the breakfast, which is served all day. It was less than ns40, but with today's dropping dollar, that meant $10- and change.


The restaurant is on the way to the Jaffa Gate, where the demonstration was to start, and as they say in business, "location is everything." I've eaten their breakfasts before and enjoyed them.

As you can see, there's plenty of food:

  • juice
  • coffee
  • 2 egg omelet
  • raw salad
  • choice of 3 other "salads"
  • wholewheat roll
  • salad "dressing"

But I didn't want the mayonnaise-based dressing. I asked for olive oil. There seemed to be plenty displayed.


For the first time ever, in an Israeli restaurant, I was refused olive oil! The idiotic, little girl waitress, tried to tell me that the white gop she called
vinegarette was without mayonnaise. She claimed that the white was from "garlic." I should have demanded that she bring her boss over, but I didn't want the stress. Instead, I was stingy with the tip. And... I'm writing this!

4 comments:

Sarah Likes Green said...

that looks good!

remind me to go there :)
i need to see all the changes around that area since i haven't been there in 8 years.

Batya said...

8 years!
That's a long time, especially concerning the restaurants!

Anonymous said...

I love that chain! I ate there on numerous occasions last year. Cafe Hillel and the Ma'afeh Ne'eman chains are also favorites of mine. The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf Cafe near there is also a nice place to relax, especially early Friday morning.

Village Green, Luigi's, and T'mol Shilshom are also nearby. They're all good restaurants, in my opinion. So many restaurants, so much food!

Now that I'm home on vacation, I have a normal Internet connection that gets along with Blogger, so I can post and comment as I please.

Batya said...

Glad you're on vacation, online.
I always request vinegar, and this is the first time I was refused.
There's nothing like those Jerusalem Kosher restaurants.