Monday, December 26, 2005

Still cold, but it's Chanukah already

Or should I say that it's freezing? I took a hot water bottle to bed with me. I haven't heated the bedroom this winter. Years ago we didn't. Of course then the house was fuller. I've been keeping the radiator on 24 hours a day in the living room, because if that cools down, forget it, I don't even want to think about it.

Saturday night I discovered that my usual sleeping socks didn't keep my feet warm. They were freezing so quickly you'd think they were being sprayed with quick-freeze, like in some sort of sadistic lab. And I was under a nice "down comforter," which wasn't comforting me at all. Finally, I got out of bed and added a second pair of socks, which wasn't easy, since I had gloves on, miss-matched, because I didn't have the energy to look for a real pair, and who was going to notice in the dark? I was also wearing a 40 year old sweatshirt. They just don't make them like they used to. And that means that I can brag that I still fit into something I wore in high school! It's one of those from either NCSY or Seminar. I was still pretty cold and began wishing that I had found and filled a hot water bottle. So, that hot water bottle was in my bed for the first night of Chanukah. Such a lovely "present."

I spent that pre-Chanukah day shopping. I wanted something really special for the Ben Zakkai Dinner. Since I already have, since previous years' sales, some velvet jackets, two Hagara and one Isha Isha and a long black velvet skirt, all I needed was a nice glittery top and maybe a hat. And since we had, thank the Good L-rd, lots of rain coming down, the mall seemed the best location for a search.

I'm allergic to buying anything that comes in large multiples, so I didn't find the "right top." And nothing looked tempting in Isha Isha. I think that the chain has become too large and the clothing rather predictable. Then I went to Hagara and tried on a jacket I had remembered from my last visit. It looked better on the hangar. They were having a 2 for 1 sale, meaning if I was to buy anything, it had to be even numbers. Not to keep you in suspense, I found another velvet jacket and "classic" blouse. Not quite what I had envisioned. Their clothes are special, and this is very understated.

I checked the time and saw that there was enough to go to town, to brave the rain and look for a hat. Four hat stores and didn't find the hat of my dreams, but I did get my son-in-law his Chanukah gift. I'm going to see them today, loaded with goodies.

I'm also teaching and not during my regular hours. I could have refused, but since I have two trips abroad planned for this school year, I wanted to be accommodating. But I reserved the video room. I have two movies, so there's a back up. Then there's a ride home or to my daughter's. If I go directly to Ofra after work, I have to bring all of the gifts and schlepp them around. But if I go home first, I'll get there later, obviously. Such problems.

Last night I got all the dishes from Shabbat washed, plus whatever I used afterwards, but I also made myself popcorn. I don't know why. Saturday night a friend came over to see "Breakfast at Tiffany's," which I had taken out of "3rd ear." I guess it's time to see movies I missed when younger.

There's still laundry to fold, so I ought to return it during my next venture to Jerusalem and get something else.

My hands are frozen!

No comments: