Monday, August 27, 2007

Better Than Bleach!

When you clean with bleach, you have to be very careful, since it can destroy the material that it's whitening. I'm sure I'm not the only housewife to find holes where the stains once were after using bleach to clean a white outfit.

According to the Jewish Calendar, we're now in the month of Elul, when we're supposed to clean our souls before inspection by the One G-d. We don't use bleach. We clean away our sins by repenting, "Tshuva," it's called in Hebrew. Next month is Tishrei, the month of the Holidays, Rosh Hashannah, Yom Kippur, Sukot and Simchat Torah.

Our souls are supposed to be clean and pure when we pray the special prayers. It's a custom to dress in white to symbolize the clean slate.

Unlike bleach, which weakens the fabric, "Tshuva" strengthens the soul. When we admit our sins to G-d and attempt to avoid them in the future we become stronger.

Shannah Tovah
Have a Good Year
Gmar Chatima Tovah
May G-d Give You the Good Sign for Life

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic analogy, Batya!

I'm going to be thinking of this post as I tackle both the physical and spiritual laundry mountains!

The Babka Nosher said...

What a great post! You have a wonderful way with words, Batya - a great perspective.

Batya said...

jf and nosher,

Thanks so much.

I needed to write something about Rosh Hashannah for a paper which publishes my stuff. I had very little time and energy, and this just came to me.

CRUSTY MOM-E said...

What a fantastic and beautiful post, Me-ander!! I really enjoyed it deeply!!
L'Shana Tova (I'm misspelling it, aren't I?)

How do you pronounce Tshuva?
(Shoe vah?)
Always,
Crusty
And that last phrase under the New years well wishings, what does it mean?

Batya said...

thanks crusty

The exact spelling of transliteration isn't important, as long as it reads properly.

tshue vah

It's up to G-d whether we live or die. He seals the Book of Life.
Gmar= end
chatima= signature (of G-d)
tova= good

May G-d write you in the Book of Life

Lady-Light said...

(to crusty)Try pronouncing it as "Teshuva." Might be easier.
Muse, this is good. This is true. I am now feeling guilty, because I haven't tackled my personal "laundry" (as well as my laundry-laundry!)yet.
ktivah ve'hatimah tovah!

Batya said...

LL, thanks so much.

Tshuva, like laundry, is an ongoing affair. There's always something to clean.