Wednesday, November 01, 2017

Pickling Olives, Something New

We have this big olive tree near our front door, and this year it was blessed with lots of fruit. One of our sons told us to pick them, so my husband did. We thought that the son wanted the olives for pickling, but instead he had thought it would be a good "hobby," or adventure/experiment, for us. As hobbies go, it's not that awful so far. If he recommends a dog, I'll veto the idea.

So, for a couple of weeks we sort of took turns changing water in the soaking olives. My husband kept looking up "recipes" and techniques. Then he bought a special jar in the local supermarket and handed the job to me.  After reading some of the links he sent, I just did what I felt like doing and poured the olives into the jar, plus another jar, added coarse salt, fresh garlic, peppercorns, lots of water and some vinegar we had in the house. And, no, I didn't measure anything. I sealed it all up to the best of my abilities imagination.

 I left the jars in a corner of the kitchen counter. And now we have to wait a month or two. Right?


No comments: