Saturday, March 17, 2018

Easy Chicken "Fricassee"

What's Fricassee? It's generally chicken cooked in a sauce, frequently a white sauce, but Chef Google showed me links to definitions that say any sauce makes it a Fricassee.

I had a package of chicken wings and a package of chicken breast I needed to cook/use up before Passover.  So first I made a very simple sauce. I don't use/buy ready-made sauces.

Sauce Ingredients 

Photo by Y. Medad
  • diced onion
  • fresh garlic
  • a few ripe tomatoes. OK in Israel they aren't expensive, so you can buy a can of diced tomatoes.
  • 1/2 cup of wine I needed to get rid of
  • a few peppercorns
  • a couple of Tablespoons of Tamari sauce
  • a couple of Tablespoons vegetable oil of your choice
Instructions
  • saute the vegetables in the oil
  • cover pan
  • When the sauce is boiling strongly, add the wings and cut pieces of chicken breast.
  • Cover again, and cook until chicken has become white and well cooked.
I've made it with meatballs, instead of the chicken breast. You can also add more vegetables to the sauce. We enjoyed it very much. If you try it, please tell me how it came out and how you changed it.

No comments: